Tonight, I felt like preparing something with a Moroccan-esque vibe...with my own twist of course. So, I cooked up a black bean and tomato quinoa with spiced chicken breasts. This dish is very easy to make and most ingredients are right in your pantry (I didn't have to make a market run for this one!).
Mediterranean Quinoa with Spiced Chicken Breasts
Note: This recipe is easily adjustable depending on how few/many people you are serving.
1 Tbsp. olive oil
3 cooked boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 cup rinsed and drained black beans
1 15 oz. can diced tomatoes, juices reserved
2-3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 cup dry quinoa
2 cup vegetable broth (Trader Joe's Organic Low-Sodium variety highly recommended)
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon turmeric
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1. In a pan, heat olive oil. Add chopped garlic and cook for 1 minute on medium heat.
2. In the same pan, add black beans, 1/2 the can of diced tomatoes (juice of half of can included), 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon, 3/4 teaspoon cumin, and 1 cup of vegetable broth. Mix and bring to a simmer. Add quinoa and cook for approximately 10 minutes or until quinoa appears light and fluffy. Add additional vegetable broth if necessary to fully cook quinoa. All of the broth should be absorbed in the end.
3. In another pan, add remaining cup of vegetable broth and bring to a simmer. Add cooked chicken breasts and bathe them in the broth.
4. Distribute ground black pepper, turmeric, and remaining cumin and cinnamon to the pan. Add the second half of can of diced tomatoes with its juices. Cook over low heat, for 5 minutes, creating a thickened sauce.
5. Serve this dish on a serving platter or on individual plates starting with the quinoa, topping it with the chicken breasts, and spooning the tomato broth sauce over the whole dish.
|Ready to be topped with the glorious chicken breasts!|